Rationale -- BC's early history was carved out of the wilderness by
thousands of hard working and forgotten cowboys. The Hall of Fame was
created to capture the memories of these living legends and share their
The Committee believes that while there are many ways to recognize people who
pursue different careers and/or make significant contributions to their
community, induction into the Cowboy Hall of Fame is the only formal way to
recognize and record into history the contributions of the "hard working and
often forgotten cowboys."
Therefore we believe limiting Hall of Fame eligibility to actual working
cowboys will ensure the legends, both present and past, and their
contributions to BC's heritage will not be forgotten nor overshadowed.
CRITERIA - all categories. The nominee must be, or have been, a professional
working cowboy or rancher whose contributions have been made in British Columbia.
DEFINITIONs; a professional cowboy is one who has earned his/her living
physically working with cattle and horses. A ranch derives its income mainly
from the sale of beef cattle.
Categories - a cowboy may be nominated for one or more categories
1. WORKING COWBOY - a person who has spent many years working on ranches with cattle and horses, who has
done a good job, and is looked up to by his/her peers.
2. COMPETITIVE - a cowboy who has done well in cowboy sports and contributed
to the betterment of rodeo or other horse sports.
3. PIONEER - a rancher who has spent many years developing a ranch.
4. HORSEMAN - a cowboy/rancher who, as part of his job, has turned out extra
good ranch or rodeo horses.
5. ARTISTIC - a cowboy/rancher who did something in the way of cowboy life,
through poetry, art, music, writing, and or crafts.
6. FAMILY - members have been involved in cowboy activities for three or
7. CENTURY RANCHES - ranches that have been in the same family for 100
years or more.
Any two people can nominate a cowboy for the BC Cowboy Hall of Fame. Just fill out
nomination form, print it, and send it in with a biography of the nominee
(birth place, family, work history); list of accomplishments; reasons why the
nominee merits induction into the BC Cowboy Hall of Fame; and a Photo(s) (copies are
accepted with an application, but originals should be available if the nominee is accepted).
The deadline for nominations, for the year, is November 1st.
Find a Printable Nomination Form Here
Nominations may be mailed or delivered to:
The Museum of the Cariboo Chilcotin
113 N4th Ave
Williams Lake, BC